MY (PICTURE) TAKE ON LIFE....

Adventures, Stories, and of course... PICTURES!!!

Friday, July 23, 2010

We're Growing!

Sam spotted a tree planting kit on the clearance shelf in the Disney Store last week. I thought... 'ugh - that means I have to take care of something else!' Then, I saw those pleading eyes, and thought, 'what the heck?'

So we bought it.

Once we got home, it was nap time, so I promised we would plant after naps. Sam woke up (actually, I don't think he really slept) asking and begging to plant his tree. In fairness, I made him wait for Jake (who could probably care less, but it was the principle of the concept of 'sharing' I was instilling there)

Once Jake woke up, we got to planting.... only, there were no seeds! Darn Disney... yes, I said it!

Nothing would do but to take an emergency trip to Home Depot. I thought it would be even more fun for them to pick their own tree anyway - this was me finding the bright spot!?

We found the seed shelf and the kids immediately wanted pumpkin seeds. Yes. Pumpkins. Not a tree. I tried to steer them away, but pumpkins it was. And being that it was post-naps, there was no way I was even going to TRY and get them to share one bag of seeds, so they each got their own!

Once home, we were back to planting. I had them throw a handful of seed in each of their pots, hoping at least one would pull through. One bag was more than enough, but whatever.....

Just THREE DAYS later, we saw little green sprouts coming through the soil. Amazing! Less than a week later, here is what they look like!We are going to have to move them to the ground next week if they keep up this pace!!!
Once I saw the sprouts, I planted the rest of the seeds beside the house where they will get a lot of sun. Three short days later, there are sprouts there too! I am amazed.... Nothing like this EVER works for me!!!! Yay that my kids get to watch a seed sprout and grow!!!
We're not done yet.... I am afraid it will be traumatic if we don't achieve an actual pumpkin... that we can carve - Sam already has his planned out! Fingers crossed!!!
(And yes, mommy has been diligent to water them everyday!!!!)

No comments: