MY (PICTURE) TAKE ON LIFE....

Adventures, Stories, and of course... PICTURES!!!

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Update on BJ

BJ's surgery went well on Tuesday. No surprises, which is a good thing! They (and by 'they', I mean the doctor) were running a couple hours late (but that's standard operating procedures at a hospital anyway, isn't it?), so BJ didn't actually get out of surgery until 3:45 pm. The doctor talked to me and my mom, then we didn't get to see BJ until about 6.

The doctor said that his left nostril had zero passage, so he had to use a chisel to open it up. Then they removed his tonsils, cut down his uvula and did some soft pallet repairs. This should cure his breathing problem along with his snoring/sleep apnea issues.

We stayed at the hospital overnight, which does not make for any rest. BJ didn't sleep hardly at all (me either). But they were good about keeping him comfortable. The morning nurse was awful, and we were glad to get out of there around noon! I was trying to speak for BJ because it really hurts when he talks, and the nurse put her hand up and told me that she was not talking to me, but that she wanted to hear from HIM. She also was defiant about a procedure she had to do on his nose that he doctor ordered for him. She told him that it wasn't going to help him breathe any better and that he could breath just fine out of his nose because he wasn't blue. BJ looked at her and said that the reason he wasn't blue was because of this large opening in his face called his MOUTH! She also said that the deviated septum surgery was a waste and that he would be back in 5 years doing it again. We corrected her again, but you see why we were SO glad to get out of there!?

The doctor gave us a DVD of the procedure, which BJ was STOKED about. We actually just put it in and as the camera entered his nose and sucked a few things out, we promptly decided that this wasn't a good time to watch it yet!!! We will wait until he is completely healed!!!!

BJ is rotating his pain medication every two hours. At night, I am setting my alarm clock to wake us up. A couple times it took me a good hour before I could get myself out of the bed! We are exhausted! BJ swears that the pain meds we have at home aren't as strong as the ones in the hospital.... but I'm afraid that the anesthesia and toroidal in the hospital probably made him more comfortable and have since worn off!!!!

He is eating really good... mashed potatoes, soft pasta with butter, icy protein shakes, Popsicles, apple sauce, jello, LOTS of water, etc. This afternoon, I will start with yogurts, smoothies and stuff like that!

Thank God for my parents, who have the kids with them. And in the midst of BJ's surgery, Jake's fever was not going away, so my parents took him back to the doctor. If it's not gone by Friday, we will be taking him for blood work to find out what's going on with him... we are praying it is gone, and it seems to be getting less and less, so we are pretty confident that his viral infection is on its way out!?

More updates to come.... I am actually (suppose to be) working on editing pictures (which, obviously, I am procrastinating in a big way)!!!!

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

I hope that you left a comment regarding the nurse! Her manager and BJ's MD need to know about her poor bedside manner!!!! Just sayin'