MY (PICTURE) TAKE ON LIFE....

Adventures, Stories, and of course... PICTURES!!!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ode to Melissa

'They' say that you only have one or two best friends in a lifetime... I have been extremely blessed by a few of those; my mom and dad being one, and a couple others that have been there for me through thick and thin. They're the ones that no matter how long goes between talking, you can always pick right back up where you left off and you know you will talk to them again... they are those life-long friends you will ALWAYS have!

Melissa is hands-down one of those friends in my life. We met in college and have been friends ever since. She was my maid of honor when I married BJ... and not only was she in my wedding, but she contributed to it being one of the best times of my life! We got to spend so much time together that weekend - we laughed and talked for hours!!! She left the morning after my wedding for a mission trip in Slovakia... the rest of her group left the week before, but she post-poned leaving so that she could be a part of my wedding... and not once did I hear about her sacrifice. I didn't even realize she left after everyone else until way after the fact. That's true friendship!

She was there when I had both of my children... I think she was our first 'non'-family visitor when we had Sam! She even came and sat in the waiting room at Children's when Jake was in surgery. All day. She was one of the few 'non'-family members that got to see Jake while in the CICU after his surgery (and can say she has seen his heart!).

We have laughed together and cried together. We have held each other up through heart aches, and heart breaks. No matter how different our lives are, we know that we have each other. Whether it's 2:00 in the morning or 2:00 in the afternoon... and we have had those calls!!!

Well, Melissa turns 30 today... speaking from experience - she can get ready to fall apart!!! ;-) How exciting to enter into a fresh new decade together! 30 is the new 20 - We're going to have a blast! And I KNOW that the 30's are going to hold lots of special memories for my sweet friend ;-), and I can't wait to be a part of them!!!

Happy Birthday, Melissa!!! I love you!!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't think I've ever had an ode before...you made me well up with tears!

I feel the exact same way with you sweet friend - I never question it, but always trust that you will be there with an encouraging word, a tight hug and abundant laughter. I love you and your friendship.

Our 30's are going to be great together!
love, Melissa

Simple Girl said...

This made me cry a little too and I don't even know Melissa! I miss my best friend so much! And I hope I can be there for all her like you have been for each other!

Julie Tiemann said...

Wow. It's such an incredibly small world. I just clicked on the link from Melissa's blog post to see her "ode," and I find out that you guys are best friends! Such a small world. My husband works at Buckhead Church with Melissa. It's so crazy to see how much everyone's worlds collide...

I see you also know the Apinis family - I'm guessing because of your son's heart problems? I don't know them, but they are/were in a small group with one of my best friends, so I know of them, and I read her blog faithfully. Again, very small world.

I want to hear more about what happened with your son that he had to have open heart surgery - I may have to peruse some of your old entries. You guys are a beautiful family!