MY (PICTURE) TAKE ON LIFE....

Adventures, Stories, and of course... PICTURES!!!

Friday, April 03, 2009

Rewind...

Well, I've not been winning "Mommy of the Year" awards lately (proof of that to follow), so we can go ahead and acknowledge the fact that I'm not winning "Blogger of the Year" either!!!!

This past month has been CRAZY!!! But, instead of starting where I left off from my last post, I'm going to work my way backwards over the next few posts to get myself caught back up!

In the past two weeks, BJ has thrown me a beautiful and totally amazing surprise birthday party (the surprise is that I'm 30, right? ;), my parents have had my grandmother living with them (for the past 2 1/2 months) and have since moved her into a retirement home in Athens this past weekend, we have celebrated Sam's THIRD birthday (multiple times), Jake has had surgery, and Sam has come down with pneumonia.

First of all, Jake's surgery was elective and 'minor' because it was 'just' a circumcision. That just didn't get done at birth because we were fighting for his life, and that was the least of any one's concerns at that point (I honestly never even thought about it)! So, Thursday was the day. Poor baby! We were supposed to be there at 6:15 AM... we ended up a few minutes late due to an alarm clock malfunction (i.e. we forgot to turn it on once we set it!), and we were home by 1:00 that afternoon. The surgery went smoothly, and Jake is doing great. We had to remove gauze from around Mr. Winkie that evening, and there were a lot of tears, wincing and screaming from all three of us! Since then, though, it's been just fine. However, I don't feel that it is 'nothing,' because it's painful and it freaks me out to change his diaper! Tylenol with Codeine has been friendly, though!

Here's our little trooper with his hospital gown on when we first got there.
Dancing with Daddy... this is with no breakfast, mind you! He didn't complain at all!Here he is watching Little Einsteins once he got his Versed (sp!?), which made him 'feel really good, man!' He was watching the T.V. going, "whoa.... whoa.... whoa..." Pretty funny!
One of his goofy faces he was making while the happy drugs were kicking in.
They took him back to the O.R. and we waited for about 30 minutes before they brought him back to us. Lyndsey came and visited during that time, which made waiting MUCH more bearable. The doctor came by and told us he was done and things went well, then it was about 10 more minutes until they brought Jake to us. He was crying and calling for "Mommy" and holding his little hand up saying, "Ow!!!! Owwwww!!! OWWWWWW!!!" where they had put his IV in. I was tearing across that room to get my baby almost in tears myself while we were getting the run-down from the nurses. BJ had to rifle through the diaper bag to find something, and in the process found a REALLY OLD rotten banana (Lyndsey was the only one in there at this point... thank goodness). It was God-sent, though, because it made me laugh instead of cry! Once Jake got in my arms and I rocked him for a few minutes, this is how he was for the next 1 1/2 - 2 hours! I couldn't get his eyes open for anything...
And once he got home and some lunch, we finally just had to wake him up to give him more medicine, and decided to keep him up until bedtime. He was a perfect little angel!That was right before the dreaded diaper change where we had to remove the gauze that was wrapped around Mr. Winkie! OUCH!!!!!

Mama and Daddy got Sam the day before Jake's surgery (this is after moving Nanny for the two weeks prior... and having her live with them for over two months!) BLESS THEM!!!! Sam was just fine the first day (the day of Jake's surgery), then he woke up puking three times that night and running a low-grade fever. They made the executive decision to get him back over here to the doctor that morning, because it was Friday and they didn't want to chance it over the weekend. Good call because the doctor said he had a slight case of pneumonia and an ear infection. YIKES!!!! We're not sure if Jake has been exposed, but we're not taking any chances, and they took Sam back to their house. I got to see him in the truck, but couldn't hug him or anything so I wouldn't infect Jake. That was so hard, and he was so pitiful. I would tell him I loved him and he would say, "I love you too, Mommy" in the sweetest most pitiful voice. Absolutely ripped my heart out! He is in good hands. Being with Mimi and Pop Pop is just like being with Mommy and Daddy for him, so he is MORE than taken care of! I just feel SO bad for my parents... they're tired and have a lot on their plates.... yet they still do so much and take such good care of us!!!

Alright... continue the rewind... Sam's birthday(s). I didn't see the point in a big birthday bash - actually thought I could get away with another year before I had to have full-on parties.... so we just did a few small celebrations for his birthday. This entailed a full week of birthday... presents, cupcakes, etc. The first 'party' was dinner in Atlanta with BJ's side of the family. Sam had a blast and got some fun presents and had a cupcake.

Party #2 was at school where I took cupcakes for his class for snack time. Jen came and helped with with that and with Jake! This is what Sam looked like when he went to school. Kinda scary, if you ask me. The teacher that got him out of the car looked a little taken a-back when she opened the door! Oh well... it was his day, and he wanted to wear it!!!
This is the kids eating and celebrating in Sam's class.
I had those little blow-things for all the kids. It actually ended up being more like weapons. At one point, Jen and I had to rescue Jake from three or four classmates blowing theirs on Jake!!!!Sam loved his!!!!This is Sam's class!Next came Party #3 at home after dinner. Sam opened his presents from us. Can't you tell he was excited. Our neighbors came by to drop off a present, and ended up being able to stay and let the kids play for awhile with all the new toys! Added bonus!!!! Thumbs up... ready to start!!! Jake had a couple presents of his own, but really just loved playing with the toys Sam had already opened!!!WOW! ANOTHER new toolbox!!!"Ba-woon!"And Party #4... I had a few of Sam's playdate friends over for cupcakes the following morning. The kids had a blast - as usual!

Sam blowing out his candle...

Finally.... Party #5 was in Athens that night at my grandmother's new home. That's when Mama and Daddy took Sam on home with them. We went to Five Guys (Sam's favorite), had MORE cupcakes, and MORE presents!!!!! Seriously..... FIVE 'parties'.... I think next time the one big one may be easier????

Before all the birthday celebrating began, Sam (and Jake) helped me bake all the cupcakes (well, the first 24... I had to bake the other 24 in the midst!)They really were just interested in the frosting! And the Spiderman candies on top! Did I mention that Sam requested Spiderman for his birthday? I dunno where that came from, but he loved it!!!!The finished product(s)!!!

Well, actually that was just one week..... the rest of the rewind is on the way.... stay tuned!

No comments: